Spectrum and the re-church network will together be hosting a summer reading group. We will be blogging our way through Deep Church by Jim Belcher. In this book, Belcher maps out, in a
very accessible way, the critiques made of the traditional church by those in the emergent movement and the criticisms of the emergent movement that has ensued from the traditionalists in response. He attempts to articulate a third alternative between the two approaches to being and doing church. We are hoping that reading this book together will be a good way to come to a better understanding of the emergent movement, but also to thoughtfully discuss the important issues that are
raised in it in the context of the Adventist community.
There are 10 chapters in the book and we will blog one chapter a week (except for the first week) for nine weeks, starting July 8. This leaves some time between now and then to get a copy of the book and start reading. Here’s the schedule we are planning to follow:
1. July 8 – Mapping New Territory (Chapters 1-3)
2. July 15 – Deep Truth (Chapter 4)
3. July 22 – Deep Evangelism (Chapter 5)
4. July 29 – Deep Gospel (Chapter 6)
5. August 5 – Deep Worship (Chapter 7)
6. August 12 – Deep Preaching (Chapter 8)
7. August 19 – Deep Ecclesiology (Chapter 9)
8. August 26 – Deep Culture (Chapter 10)
9. September 2 – Becoming a Deep Church (Conclusion)
Our bloggers will include some new and old names to Spectrum: Ryan
Bell, Will Cordis, Lisa Diller, Todd Leonard, Will Johns, Brenton Reading, Japhet De Oliveira and Zane Yi. We invite you to join us and anticipate your comments, questions, experiences, and insights. Feel free to invite at friend and to drop a short comment below if you plan to participate.