Blogger Autobio: Adrian James

I was born in Bangkok, Thailand in 1986. I spent most of my summers traveling to countries like India and Malaysia where I learned a lot about my own cultural heritage. In the summer of 2000, I moved to Southern California where I began to attend high school at Loma Linda Academy (LLA). I graduated from LLA in 2004 and I am currently a junior at La Sierra University (LSU) majoring in Philosophy and Cultural Studies. I am currently writing for *The Criterion*, La Sierra's student news magazine. I am also an organizer for Revolution, a student organization on campus that seeks to provide an avenue for student activism and open dialogue on topics relating to politics, culture, religion, and philosophy.

I consider myself a connoisseur of street art in it's myriad styles and manifestations across the globe. I have been known on occasion, to pick up an Exacto knife and spray paint some stencil-style graffiti work of my own, though nothing really big or illegal! The guerrilla artist commonly known as Banksy continues to be one of my biggest heroes and a continuing source of inspiration to me.

Jazz music is also something I've really grown to appreciate over the years. I particularly enjoy Bossa Nova and various other styles of jazz with Latin American influences.

Most recently, I have been co-directing a documentary film called *The Last Generation*. It is a film that deals mostly with young Adventists and youth culture. This project has taken me to a lot of fascinating places and it has allowed me to interact with people who often have vastly different ideas about what it means to be Seventh-day Adventist. In many ways it has given me the opportunity to begin to understand some of the complexities involved with Seventh-day Adventist history and it has led me to reevaluate some of my own perspectives on certain segments within Adventism in a more positive and constructive way. Working on *The Last Generation *has been a source of tremendous personal growth and enlightenment.

In the future, I would like to enter the medical field but I hope to still be able to spend time exploring and writing about topics related to culture and politics.

Current Issue

Not yet a subscriber? Subscribe today!

Support Spectrum

Thank you for making your generous gift. Your donation will help independent Adventist journalism expand across the globe.

DONATE NOW!

Newsletter

Ads

Organizations

Sat, 10/25/2014 | Los Angeles Adventist Forum
October Adventist Forum
Ronald E. Osborn, Ph.D., A 2014-2016 Mellon Postdoctoral Fell ow in the Peace and Justice Program at Wellesley College (Boston), and a 2 015 Fullbright Scholar to Burma/Myanmar, Formerly an Adjunct Faculty Membe r in the Dept. of International Relations at USC, and in the Honors Progra m at UCLA. Topic: "Death Before the Fall?: A Conversation with Ronald Osbor n."

Connect with Spectrum