1. Adventist pastor Evans Orina died after being stabbed and burned in a mob violence incident in Kaptembwa, Kenya, last week. He was mistaken for a robber.
1. A lightning strike killed eight worshippers during a Sabbath service at an Adventist church in Lilongwe, Malawi. Several other members were injured in the incident.
1. Loma Linda University partners with Texas A & M in space station stem cell research.
1. Adventist "Bible Boom" contest finalists from across the Inter-American Division competed in Cuba last weekend, with 20-year-old Jempsy Tisma from Haiti winning the competition and demonstrating exhaustive knowledge of 10 books of the Bible, from Ephesians to Hebrews.
LLUMC Unveils Cutting Edge Heart Procedure
A new therapy has been developed by physicians at Loma Linda University to "treat patients who have severe aortic valve stenosis, shortness of breath, chest pain, heart failure, light-headedness and syncope. The procedure provides an alternative to open heart surgery for patients who are considered inoperable."
Scam Culprit Confesses
1. A man is on trial for the theft of more than $850,000 from a New Zealand SDA pastor and his wife, who, along with others from the congregation were deceived when they loaned him money. Damas Flohr falsely claimed he had $35.8 million owed to him from a Nigerian oil contract, and asked for loans from different churchmembers to ease his financial troubles until that money was paid.
1. Brain Cladoosby, chairman of the Swinomish Tribal Community in Washington state - and a Seventh-day Adventist church member and elder of the Lummi SDA Church - was elected president of the National Congress of American Indians on October 18.
1. Shortly after they were married two years ago, Yessenia Suarez and Luis Toledo were baptized together at the Deltona Spanish SDA Church in Deltona, Florida. Now Toledo is locked in jail while authorities search for the bodies of Suarez and her nine-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son.
1. Volunteers are wanted for a large-scale Walnuts and Healthy Aging Study by Loma Linda University that hopes to determine links between walnut consumption and brain, eye, and cognitive functions.